NEW: Get Updates by Email

Nearly 900,000 Fords Hit By a Pair of New Recalls

by | August 28, 2025

Ford Motor Co. is recalling nearly 500,000 SUVs due to potential brake failures. The announcement comes barely a day after it issued a recall for 355,000 late model pickups due to the possibility their instrument panel’s digital display could fail. The two new service actions add to what was already an all-time record for recalls in a single year. More from Headlight.News.

2025 Ford F-150 driving

The Ford F-150 is one of the models targeted by the latest recalls.

Ford has issued a recall notice covering nearly 500,000 SUVs due to potentially leaky brake fluid lines that could make it difficult to stop the vehicles.

The announcement follows another recall this week involving more than 350,000 late-model Ford F-Series pickups because the instrument panel cluster in those trucks can fail unexpectedly when the vehicle is started, resulting in nothing but a blank screen being displayed.

Ford has now experienced an industry-record 106 recalls so far this year, an industry record. Some of those have involved more than 1 million vehicles due to a wide range of issues covering everything from engine and suspension components to faulty batteries that could make it difficult for motorists to get in or out of their vehicle.

Faulty brake line recall

2018 Lincoln MKX

The Lincoln MKX is one of two models that experience a brake line failure.

The latest of the two new recalls was triggered by owner complaints involving a flexible rear brake hose line that can rupture and leak fluid, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

 

If that happens, motorists may have to press harder on the brake pedal to slow or stop the vehicle – and it could delay triggering the vehicle’s brake lights. In some instances, stopping distances could be stretched out to dangerous lengths.

Ford said it has no reports of accidents or injuries, however, and estimated only about 1% of the vehicles covered by the recall might eventually experience the brake line failure.

All told, 497,624 SUVs sold in the U.S. are covered by the recall. These include Ford Edge models sold between the 2025 through 2018 model years, as well as Lincoln MXK models sold between 2016 through 2018.

Faulty instrument panel recall

2025 F-150 - instrument cluster

The instrument cluster in the 2025 F-150 and other F-Series models could fail.

The recall announced earlier this week centers around a digital instrument cluster now used in Ford’s F-Series pickups. The automaker has received a number of complaints indicating the display can unexpectedly fail when the vehicle is started.

In such a situation, it will “not show critical information, such as warnings lights or vehicle speed (which) increases the risk of a crash,” said the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration” in a post announcing the recall.

The defect covers a total of 355,656 pickups, including certain F-150s from the 2025 model year, as well as Super Duty trucks from both the 2025 and 2026 model year, Ford confirmed.

More Ford News

Ford Mustang Mach-E - China Version

The Mustang Mach-E recently was recalled because a battery failure could lock motorists out – or in – their vehicles.

The fixes

With the brake hose problem, Ford plans to send out notification to owners on September 8, though it will take time before its dealers are ready to make repairs. At that point, the automaker said, it will issue a second notice.

As for the instrument cluster defect, the good news for owners is that Ford already has a software fix available to address the display failure. With some vehicles capable of using smartphone-style over-the-air updates. That approach, Ford noted, is “more convenient for customers compared to an in-person dealer visit.”

Ford’s ongoing recall problems

The latest service action only adds to Ford’s ongoing problems with quality and reliability – issues that have so far scrubbed billions of dollars off its bottom line due to repair costs.

Notably, Ford set an industry record during the first half of 2025, rolling out 89 separate recalls – more than any other automaker previously experienced during an entire year. The previous record of 77 recalls was set by General Motors in 2014.

Since the end of June, Ford has announced a number of additional recalls – bringing the total so far this year to 106.

Ford recently agreed with NHTSA to set up an operation aimed at isolating potential safety problems – a move that could result in even more service actions. This, said chief operating officer Kumar Galhotra, “reflects our intensive strategy to quickly find and fix hardware and software issues and go the extra mile to help protect customers.”

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Our Mailing List is Live!
Get Updates by Email

Get on our list to receive the latest automotive news in your inbox!

Invalid email address
I would like to receive:
Give it a try. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Share This